Peer Reviewed Publications (* denotes CHANGE Lab student author)
- Anderson, M.B., Okwumabua, T.M., & Thurston, I.B. (2016). Adolescent Condom Carnival: Feasibility of a novel group intervention for decreasing sexual risk. Sex Education, Epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1080/14681811.2016.1252741.
- Barnes, S. E., Howell, K. H., Thurston, I. B., & Cohen, R. (2016). Children’s attitudes toward aggression: Associations with depression, aggression, and perceived parent/peer responses to anger. Journal of Child and Family Studies, Epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1007/s10826-016-0612-5
- Sonneville, K. R., Thurston, I. B., Milliren, C., Gooding, H. C., & Richmond, T. K. (2016). Weight misperception among young adults with overweight/obesity associated with disordered eating behaviors. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 49, . 937-946. doi: 10.1002/eat.22565
- Sonneville, K.R., Thurston, I.B., Milliren, C., *Kamody, R.C., & Richmond, T. (2016). Helpful or harmful? Prospective association between weight misperception and weight gain among overweight and obese young adults. International Journal of Obesity, 40, 453-461. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2015.166
- Thurston, I. B., Sonneville, K. R., Milliren, C. E., *Kamody, R.C., Gooding, H.C., & Richmond, T.K. (2016). Cross-sectional and prospective examination of weight misperception and depressive symptoms among youth with overweight and obesity. Prevention Science, Epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1007/s11121-016-0714-8
- Berlin, K.S., *Kamody, R.C., Thurston, I.B., Banks, G.G., Rybak, T.M., & Ferry, R.J. (2015). Physical activity, sedentary behavior, and nutritional risk profiles and relations to body mass index, obesity, and overweight in eighth grade. Behavioral Medicine, Epub, 1-8. doi: 10.1080/08964289.2015.1039956
- Sonneville, K.R., Grilo, C.M., Richmond, T.M., Thurston, I.B., Jernigan, M., Gianini, L., & Field, A.E. (2015). Prospective association between overvaluation of weight and binge eating disorder among overweight adolescent girls. Journal of Adolescent Health, 56, 25-29. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2014.08.017
- Thurston, I.B., Gray, W.N., & Pulgaron, E.R. (2015). Going above and beyond: Exemplar diversity training in pediatric psychology. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology, 3, 241-248. doi: 10.1037/cpp0000099
- Richmond, T.K., Thurston, I.B., Sonneville, K.R., Milliren, C., Walls, C.E., & Austin, S.B. (2014). Racial/ethnic differences in accuracy of body mass index reporting in a diverse cohort of young adults. International Journal of Obesity, 39, 546-548. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2014.147
- Thurston, I.B., Bogart, L.M., Wachman, M., Closson, E.F., Skeer, M.R., & Mimiaga, M.J. (2014). Adaptation of an HIV medication adherence intervention for adolescents and young adults. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 21, 191-205. doi: 10.1016/j.cbpra.2013.11.001
- Thurston, I.B., Dietrich, J. Bogart, L.M., Otwombe, K.N., Sikkema, K.J., Nkala, B., & Gray, G.E. (2014). Correlates of sexual risk among sexual minority and heterosexual South African youth. American Journal of Public Health, 104, 1265-1269. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301865
- Thurston, I.B., Phares, V., Coates, E.E., & Bogart, L.M. (2014). Child problem recognition and help-seeking intentions among black and white parents. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 44, 604-615. doi: 10.1080/15374416.2014.883929
- Bogart, L.M., Skinner, D., Thurston, I.B., Toefy, Y., Klein, D.J., Hu, C., & Schuster, M.A. (2013). Let’s talk! A South African worksite-based HIV prevention parenting program. Journal of Adolescent Health, 53, 602-608. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2013.01.014.
- Thurston, I.B., Pulgaron, E.R., & Valenzuela, J.M. (2013). How to actualize your ideas in a steep funding climate: Experiences of diverse researchers. The Behavioral Therapist, 36, 136-142.
- Thurston, I.B, Curley, J., Fields, S., Kamboukos, Rojas, A., & Phares, V. (2008). How nonclinical are community samples? Journal of Community Psychology, 36, 411-420. doi: 10.1002/jcop.20223
- Thurston, I.B., & Phares, V. (2008). Mental health service utilization in African American and Caucasian mothers and fathers. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 76, 1058-1067. doi: 10.1037/a0014007
- Phares, V., Fields, S., & Binitie, I. (2006). Getting fathers involved in child-related therapy. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 13, 42-53. doi: 10.1016/j.cbpra.2005.06.002
Publications Under Review
- Thurston, I. B., *Hardin, R., *Decker, K. M., *Arnold, T., Howell, K.H., and Phares, V. (revise & resubmit). Black and white parents’ willingness to seek help for children’s internalizing and externalizing symptoms. Journal of Clinical Psychology.
Thurston, I. B., *Hardin, R., *Kamody, R. C., Herbozo, S., & *Kaufman, C. (revise & resubmit). The moderting role of resilience on the relationship between perceived stress and binge eating symptoms among young adult women. Journal of Pediatric Psychology.
- Unger, E.S., Kawachi, I., Milliren, C., Sonneville, K.R., Thurston, I.B., Gooding, H.C., & Richmond, T.K. (revise & resubmit). Protective misperception? Prospective study of weight self-perception and blood pressure in adolescents with overweight and obesity. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Fields, E.L., Bogart, L.M., Thurston, I.B., Hu, C., Closson, E.F., Skeer, M.R., Safren, S.A., & Mimiaga, M.J. (under review). Qualitative comparison of barriers to antiretroviral medication adherence among perinatally and behaviorally HIV-infected youth. Journal of Qualitative Health Research.
- Herbozo, S., Stevens, S.D., & Thurston, I. B. (under review). The mediating role of appearance comparison on the relationship between negative appearance commentary and binge eating symptoms. Eating Behaviors.
- Mowery, D., Coates, E., Thurston, I.B., Phares, V., Tran, Q., & Stokes, T. (under review). Mental health functioning among youth with orthopaedic conditions. Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics
- Pichon, L.C., Powell, T.W., Thurston, I.B., *Arnold, T.L., Digney, S.A., Williams, A.L., & Becton-Odum, N. (under review). “Born with temptation:” An exploration of readiness to address sexuality and sexual health teachings among faith leaders.
Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology.
- Rancourt, D., Thurston, I. B., Sonneville, K. R., Milliren, C., & Richmond, T. K. (under review). Longitudinal impact of weight misperception and intent to change weight on body mass index of adolescents and young adults with overweight or obesity. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Thurston, I.B., *Decker, K., & *Hardin, R. (in press). Antiretroviral medication adherence & disease management in pediatric populations. In T. Chenneville (Ed.), A Clinical To Pediatric HIV: Bridging the Gaps Between Research and Practice. Springer.
- Hankinson, J.C., Thurston, I.B., Fields, S., Rojas, A., Kamboukos, D., & Phares, V. (2011). The connections between individual therapy in the family and adolescents’ emotional/behavioral problems. In A.M. Colombus (Ed.), Advances in Psychology Research, 67 (pp. 149-162).
- Phares, V., Rojas, A., Thurston, I.B., & Hankinson, J.C. (2010). Including fathers in clinical interventions for children and adolescents. In M.E. Lamb (Ed.), The role of the father in child development (5th ed.) (pp. 459-485). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications & Technical Reports
- Thurston, I.B., Fitzpatrick, S.L., and Mitchell, M.J. (2013). Obesity in African American girls and women: Summit insights and implications for pediatric psychologists. Progress Notes: Newsletter of The Society of Pediatric Psychology, 37, 14.
- Mimiaga, M.J., Bogart, L.M., Thurston, I.B., Skeer, M.R., Wachman, M., Closson, E.F., & Safren, S.A. (2012). Positive strategies to enhance problem-solving skills: Positive STEPS. Therapist & Participant Manuals.
- Bogart, L.M., Thurston, I.B., Toefy, Y., Skinner, D., & Schuster, M.A. (2011). Let’s talk: A parenting workshop for parents and caregivers of adolescents. Facilitator & Participant Manuals.