Peer Reviewed Publications (* denotes CHANGE Lab student author)
- Herbozo, S., Stevens, S. D., Thurston, I. B. (in press). The mediating role of appearance comparisons on the relationship between negative appearance commentary and binge eating symptoms. Eating Behaviors.
- Anderson, M.B., Okwumabua, T.M., & Thurston, I.B. (2017). Condom Carnival: Feasibility of a novel group intervention for decreasing sexual risk. Sex Education, 17, 135-148. doi: 10.1080/14681811.2016.1252741.
- Barnes, S. E., Howell, K. H., Thurston, I. B., & Cohen, R. (2017). Children’s attitudes toward aggression: Associations with depression, aggression, and perceived parent/peer responses to anger. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 26, 748-758. doi: 10.1007/s10826-016-0612-5
- Berlin, K.S., *Kamody, R.C., Thurston, I.B., Banks, G.G., Rybak, T.M., & Ferry, R.J. (2017). Physical activity, sedentary behavior, and nutritional risk profiles and relations to body mass index, obesity, and overweight in eighth grade. Behavioral Medicine, 43, 31-39. doi: 10.1080/08964289.2015.1039956
- Thurston, I. B., Sonneville, K. R., Milliren, C. E., *Kamody, R.C., Gooding, H.C., & Richmond, T.K. (2017). Cross-sectional and prospective examination of weight misperception and depressive symptoms among youth with overweight and obesity. Prevention Science, 18, . 152-163. doi: 10.1007/s11121-016-0714-8
- Sonneville, K. R., Thurston, I. B., Milliren, C., Gooding, H. C., & Richmond, T. K. (2016). Weight misperception among young adults with overweight/obesity associated with disordered eating behaviors. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 49, 937-946. doi: 10.1002/eat.22565
- Sonneville, K.R., Thurston, I.B., Milliren, C., *Kamody, R.C., & Richmond, T. (2016). Helpful or harmful? Prospective association between weight misperception and weight gain among overweight and obese young adults. International Journal of Obesity, 40, 328-332. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2015.166
- Sonneville, K.R., Grilo, C.M., Richmond, T.M., Thurston, I.B., Jernigan, M., Gianini, L., & Field, A.E. (2015). Prospective association between overvaluation of weight and binge eating disorder among overweight adolescent girls. Journal of Adolescent Health, 56, 25-29. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2014.08.017
- Thurston, I.B., Gray, W.N., & Pulgaron, E.R. (2015). Going above and beyond: Exemplar diversity training in pediatric psychology. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology, 3, 241-248. doi: 10.1037/cpp0000099
- Richmond, T.K., Thurston, I.B., Sonneville, K.R., Milliren, C., Walls, C.E., & Austin, S.B. (2014). Racial/ethnic differences in accuracy of body mass index reporting in a diverse cohort of young adults. International Journal of Obesity, 39, 546-548. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2014.147
- Thurston, I.B., Bogart, L.M., Wachman, M., Closson, E.F., Skeer, M.R., & Mimiaga, M.J. (2014). Adaptation of an HIV medication adherence intervention for adolescents and young adults. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 21, 191-205. doi: 10.1016/j.cbpra.2013.11.001
- Thurston, I.B., Dietrich, J. Bogart, L.M., Otwombe, K.N., Sikkema, K.J., Nkala, B., & Gray, G.E. (2014). Correlates of sexual risk among sexual minority and heterosexual South African youth. American Journal of Public Health, 104, 1265-1269. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301865
- Thurston, I.B., Phares, V., Coates, E.E., & Bogart, L.M. (2014). Child problem recognition and help-seeking intentions among black and white parents. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 44, 604-615. doi: 10.1080/15374416.2014.883929
- Bogart, L.M., Skinner, D., Thurston, I.B., Toefy, Y., Klein, D.J., Hu, C., & Schuster, M.A. (2013). Let’s talk! A South African worksite-based HIV prevention parenting program. Journal of Adolescent Health, 53, 602-608. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2013.01.014.
- Thurston, I.B., Pulgaron, E.R., & Valenzuela, J.M. (2013). How to actualize your ideas in a steep funding climate: Experiences of diverse researchers. The Behavioral Therapist, 36, 136-142.
- Thurston, I.B, Curley, J., Fields, S., Kamboukos, Rojas, A., & Phares, V. (2008). How nonclinical are community samples? Journal of Community Psychology, 36, 411-420. doi: 10.1002/jcop.20223
- Thurston, I.B., & Phares, V. (2008). Mental health service utilization in African American and Caucasian mothers and fathers. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 76, 1058-1067. doi: 10.1037/a0014007
- Phares, V., Fields, S., & Binitie, I. (2006). Getting fathers involved in child-related therapy. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 13, 42-53. doi: 10.1016/j.cbpra.2005.06.002
Publications Under Review
- Thurston, I. B., *Hardin, R., *Decker, K. M., *Arnold, T., Howell, K.H., and Phares, V. (revise & resubmit). Black and white parents’ willingness to seek help for children’s internalizing and externalizing symptoms. Journal of Clinical Psychology.
- Unger, E.S., Kawachi, I., Milliren, C., Sonneville, K.R., Thurston, I.B., Gooding, H.C., & Richmond, T.K. (revise & resubmit). Protective misperception? Prospective study of weight self-perception and blood pressure in adolescents with overweight and obesity. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Fields, E.L., Bogart, L.M., Thurston, I.B., Hu, C., Closson, E.F., Skeer, M.R., Safren, S.A., & Mimiaga, M.J. (under review). Qualitative comparison of barriers to antiretroviral medication adherence among perinatally and behaviorally HIV-infected youth. Journal of Qualitative Health Research.
- Mowery, D., Coates, E., Thurston, I.B., Phares, V., Tran, Q., & Stokes, T. (under review). Mental health functioning among youth with orthopaedic conditions. Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics
- Pichon, L.C., Powell, T.W., Thurston, I.B., *Arnold, T.L., Digney, S.A., Williams, A.L., & Becton-Odum, N. (under review). “Born with temptation:” An exploration of readiness to address sexuality and sexual health teachings among faith leaders.
Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology.
- Rancourt, D., Thurston, I. B., Sonneville, K. R., Milliren, C., & Richmond, T. K. (under review). Longitudinal impact of weight misperception and intent to change weight on body mass index of adolescents and young adults with overweight or obesity. Journal of Adolescent Health.
Thurston, I. B., *Hardin, R., *Kamody, R. C., Herbozo, S., & *Kaufman, C. (under review). The moderting role of resilience on the relationship between perceived stress and binge eating symptoms among young adult women. Emerging Adulthood.
- Thurston, I.B., *Decker, K., & *Hardin, R. (in press). Antiretroviral medication adherence & disease management in pediatric populations. In T. Chenneville (Ed.), A Clinical To Pediatric HIV: Bridging the Gaps Between Research and Practice. Springer.
- Hankinson, J.C., Thurston, I.B., Fields, S., Rojas, A., Kamboukos, D., & Phares, V. (2011). The connections between individual therapy in the family and adolescents’ emotional/behavioral problems. In A.M. Colombus (Ed.), Advances in Psychology Research, 67 (pp. 149-162).
- Phares, V., Rojas, A., Thurston, I.B., & Hankinson, J.C. (2010). Including fathers in clinical interventions for children and adolescents. In M.E. Lamb (Ed.), The role of the father in child development (5th ed.) (pp. 459-485). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications & Technical Reports
- Thurston, I.B., Fitzpatrick, S.L., and Mitchell, M.J. (2013). Obesity in African American girls and women: Summit insights and implications for pediatric psychologists. Progress Notes: Newsletter of The Society of Pediatric Psychology, 37, 14.
- Mimiaga, M.J., Bogart, L.M., Thurston, I.B., Skeer, M.R., Wachman, M., Closson, E.F., & Safren, S.A. (2012). Positive strategies to enhance problem-solving skills: Positive STEPS. Therapist & Participant Manuals.
- Bogart, L.M., Thurston, I.B., Toefy, Y., Skinner, D., & Schuster, M.A. (2011). Let’s talk: A parenting workshop for parents and caregivers of adolescents. Facilitator & Participant Manuals.